- Kilimanjaro epitomizes the beauty of East Africa.
- It’s legendary snow-capped dome, atop a perfectly formed extinct volcano, stands at the summit of Africa, 5,895m [19336 feet] above sea level.
- More significantly, as viewed from it’s the base, this is the world’s tallest freestanding mountain.
- Rising in breathtaking isolation to tower an imperious 5 kilometers (3 miles) above the surrounding savannah.
- The name Kilimanjaro, like the mountain itself, is an enigma wreathed in clouds.
- It might mean mountain of light, mountain of greatness or caravan, even the local chagga people don’t even have a name for the whole massif, only kipoo(now known as kibo) for the familiar snowy peak that stands imperious, overseer the continent, the summit of Africa.
- One of the most accessible and revered high summits, Kilimanjaro is a global beacon of the hikers.
- Most climbers reach the crater rim with little more than a walking stick, proper clothing and determination.
- Those who reach Uhuru point, the actual summit, Stella point or Gillman’s point on the lip of the crater, will have earned their climbing certificates and their (MEMORIES)
- The ascent of Kilimanjaro is a virtual climatic world tour, starring in the tropics and ending in the arctic,
- As you cross the national park boundary, cultivated footslopes give way to lush Montane forest inhabited by elephants, buffalo, the endangered abbot’s duiker, and other small antelopes and primates.
- Higher still lies the moorland zone, where a cover of giant heather is studded with otherworldly giant lobbies.
- Above 4,000m (13,124), a surreal alpine desert supports little life other than a few hardy mosses and lichen.
- Then, finally, the last vestigial vegetation gives way to a winter wonderland of ice and snow- and the magnificent beauty of the roof of the continent.
- Size of the park 1500 sq km (580 sq miles)
- Six main trekking routes to the summit and other more- demanding mountaineering routes,
- Day or overnight hikes on Shira plateau,
- Nature trails on the lower reaches, the beautiful Chala crater lake on the southern slopes.